Monday, January 25, 2010

Fat Camp -- Day 8

Up early again for a pre-breakfast cycling class.  SO hard, and so SO worth it.  I was really impressed I survived it this time.  Melanie definitely upped the workout level from last week!

After breakfast I had blood drawn again (it looks like I might have Hypothyroidism, so they're doing a confirmation test.  If I do, going on meds may aid in weight loss, though it will in NO WAY substitute for diet and exercise.  So THERE, Mister Thyroid!)  Then I had glorious, glorious stretch class, which made me all jellyfishy inside.  After a brief break I did some weights, and then headed over to lunch, secure in the knowledge that I had done all the exercise I needed to for the day, and it was only noon.

It's surprising how that's such a really, amazingly good feeling.  I mean, not so much that it feels *good*, but that it feels good *to me*.  I never thought I'd be that kind of person, and I'm enjoying it.  Watch out -- I may come home perky and bubbly and completely carbonated.  No Abigail sins gas here... er, that came out wrong...

After lunch I had therapy with my doc back home, followed by a class on Weight Loss Goals.  I learned how to predict your resting metabolic rate (I'm having a test on Thursday to actually measure mine), and how to use that plus how often you work out to figure out how many calories you need to maintain your weight, and then use THAT plus your age and gender to figure out the bare minimum number of calories you should eat in a day if you don't want to starve to death, oh my LORD.  This was followed by a discussion of reasons why you probably want to eat more than that bare bones number (for example, if you have a tendency to binge eat, it has been shown that eating a few more calories a day can help you maintain the diet better and binge less often.)  Then we talked about BMI, and then we talked about waist measurements.  It turns out my body type is pear.  (There are three types: stick, pear, and apple.  Sticks don't tend to put on excess weight, the jerkfaces.)  Also, they suggest that every 10% or so of body mass that you lose, you go to a maintenance diet for 3 weeks or more.  This gives your body a chance to adjust to its new situation, keeps your brain from kicking everything into starvation mode, and also gives you good practice maintaining because, let's face it, how many of us have ever really been able to simply maintain for long periods of time (Mom, Ethan, Daniel and Hazel, you are not allowed to answer this question.)

This was followed by group therapy, which I am not allowed to talk about.  The first rule of Group is that you do not discuss Group.  The second rule of Group is that you do not discuss Group.  The third rule of Group is that what happens in Group stays in Vegas.

Group was followed by a bit of a lie down, because there's only so much therapy a girl can take in one day.  Then I had dinner, followed by a Target run, where I successfully purchased individual packets of instant caffeinated coffee.  Don't look at me like that.  It's CAFFEINE.

I can quit it any time I want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment