Sunday, January 31, 2010

Fat Camp -- Day 14

Sundays are generally lazy days here at Camp Fatty Ville.  I did chivvy two of my usual crowd of friends into getting up and exercising with me pre-breakfast, which made me feel awesome.  I did half an hour on the bike, and had the best of intentions of doing at least 20 more minutes after lunch.

However, the best laid plans of rice and phen-phen... sorry, food on the brain...

As we sat down to eat we found out that one of our crowd, a 78-year-old named Bob (no relation) had gone to clean the snow off his car, slipped on the patch of ice that is the entire parking lot, and hit his head.  He had a nasty looking scrape, and after talking with the nurse on the phone (she's on-call over the weekend, but not actually on-campus), decided he should have a CT Scan just so he could not worry about concussion.

I didn't want him to be alone, so I volunteered to be the clear-headed, calm individual who accompanied him and, if necessary, would lie about being a relative.

First we tried an Urgent Care facility, but they turned out not to have a cat scan, so then we went to the Duke ER, where he got exemplary service.  This nevertheless took all afternoon, at which point I was very drained.  How is it that just sitting and waiting can be so tiring?

The good news is, Bob had no signs of bruising or bleeding on the brain.

The better news is that we got back in time for dinner.

The best news of all is that I didn't have my wallet on me in the ER.  This is the best news of all because there was a vending machine there, and EVEN THOUGH I WASN'T HUNGRY AT ALL, I took one look at it and thought, "oooh... chocolate..."

Bob pointed out that I should write my antecedent down in my diary (we're supposed to keep track of these even when we don't engage in unstructured eating, so we can later reference what we did to refrain from eating and attempt to repeat it.)  I said that my antecedent was pretty much "ooh... chocolate..." and also that what I did to refrain from eating was not have any money on me, which is not really a sustainable solution.

But the point is, I didn't have chocolate.

I did, however, greatly enjoy the spanokopita I had for dinner, as well as my half-a-baked potato and cottage cheese.  And then I had two cups of decaf tea.

I have become quite the tea drinker of late -- it's a really good way to end a meal, because I can sit slowly over it and let my brain catch up with my stomach, and realize that I'm actually full, thank you.

Also!  Have I mentioned Nu-Salt yet?  I ask because I put it on my potato and my roasted cauliflower, and it's not bad.  It's potassium chlori--as I'm typing this, I seem to remember having mentioned it previously in an e-mail, and having gone on about bananas.  I shall therefore refrain from boring you all over again, although if it turns out I'm hallucinating and didn't tell you about it, I shall do so.

After my cat scan.

No comments:

Post a Comment