Saturday, February 6, 2010

Fat Camp -- Day 20

Today was a good sort of test day.  After I had breakfast, Tom and Maeve Byrnes picked me up and we drove to Charlotte to visit the Young Byrneses.  (They live together!  Well, the boys live together in one house, and the girls in another.  What wacky family hijinks must ensue!)


After we saw Brandon and Kevin's place, which is really quite nice (they gutted it inside and out and have redone the whole thing), we went to lunch.  It was a nice restaurant, but it was only serving its brunch menu, even though it was close to 1 o'clock.  I had my first lesson in attempting to eat nutritiously without being able to pre-plan or vet a restaurant.  There wasn't a whole lot on the brunch menu that looked doable, so I did what I could.  I ordered eggs, knowing they came out with three eggs and planning on only eating 2/3 of the order.  They came with turkey sausage, toast, and grits.  I also got a side order of fresh fruit, which I checked was not in syrup.  Of this order, only the fruit was what I was expecting.  The turkey sausage was meh, and I only ate one patty of it anyway, since I wanted to limit my protein intake for the meal.  They didn't have whole-wheat bread, so I knew I was skipping the toast.  The eggs, which I had requested have no butter or oil while being scrambled, turned out to be cheesy eggs, as did the grits.  There wasn't much I could do about this except mentally up my caloric intake for the meal by a few hundred calories, and try not to think about the fat... seriously?  cheese is the absolute worst.  ONE OUNCE of cheese has at least 100 calories and at least 8 grams of fat.  That's worse for you than the fattiest cut of red meat you can find.  It's highly depressing.

So anyway, I ate all the fruit, all the grits (I needed that fiber intake.  I've actually been adding bran flakes to my yogurt at mealtimes to increase fiber) and 2/3 of the eggs.  I ate one turkey patty, and left the rest of the food untouched.  Not terrible, but not particularly healthy, either.  I mean, it was healthy as the brunch options went, but they only went so far.

After lunch we went to see Kate's place, which was also lovely, and then Kate, Maeve and I went shopping.  I got a beautiful necklace, Maeve got a picture frame, and Kate got light bulbs.

I won.

Then we had to go, since it was a 2+ hour drive back to the triangle. (I'm so native!  I know to call Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill the triangle! Aren't I Southern?)

As it was, I got in too late to have a hot dinner.  Medardo in the kitchen, who is my savior, threw together a salad, a scoop of turkey salad, a cup of grapes, and half a cup of yogurt for me, and I ate in the common area since the dining room was closed.

Then I went back to me room, and started typing this e-mail, before getting distracted by a skype call with the Millers.  I meant to finish writing all y'all (see?  Southern) earlier, I sweat, but there was a Kaia to look at.  And no offense or anything?  but Kaia wins.  She even burbled at me!  It was an excellent 45 minutes.

And now, I'm off to bed.

Talk to you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment