Friday, January 14, 2011

Fat Camp -- Day 5.1

And the other shoe dropped today, when I added 0.4 lbs.  BUT!  The great thing about weighing yourself every day, and something I've really come to terms with since my first visit, is that you realize how little these slight fluctuations mean.  Because excluding water weight, I should be losing roughly 1-2 lbs a week.   But that's per WEEK; each day I might go up some, then down a lot, then up a little, and so forth.  It still averages out correctly to steady, healthy weight loss.  So I stepped off the scale, and shrugged, and went on with my day.  For lo! I am a (semi) healthy person (okay, so I'm working on it.  Bite me.)!

After breakfast I had yoga.  The usual yoga instructor is on vacation, and the woman who came in clearly expected at first that we were all more experienced with yoga than any of us actually was, and on top of that the stereo system wouldn't play her CD, so it started off rather rough, but by the end of the class I felt reasonably relaxed and stretched out.

Of course, I went from there to Randy and weight training.  It's amazing how every session, there's something new to abhor.

Apropos of nothing, have I mentioned how mentioned how much I hate lunges?

Post-workout, the elliptical was in use (and I was honestly kind of gross), so I went home to clean up a little, and then chatted with my mommy and my Hazel.  After a quick lunch, I went to Soft Landings, a class on how to make the transition back home easier.  This time we talked about the two extremes on the spectrum of other people being involved in our food/diet: The Food Police on one end, and the Pushers on the other.  We worked through ways to handle both of these types in ways that respect the fact that on the whole, they mostly care about us and are actually trying to be helpful and are people we don't want to hurt.  (Something that is often hard to remember in the moment.)

Then I ran away for a cooking demo, where I learned how to make a delicious roasted red pepper and herb pasta with shrimp dish, and an AMAZING side of Brussels sprouts with walnut-lemon vinaigrette.  Really, REALLY fantastic side dish, and for those of you who refuse to even try Brussels sprouts, the vinaigrette would work well with broccoli, or asparagus, or really any good green vegetable.

Of course, at the end of a cooking demo, you get to taste the dish so you can decide if you ever want to make it or not.  I took very tiny tastes, and then realized that I had to get out of there or I was going to take very NOT tiny tastes.  So, to distract myself, I hopped on the elliptical instead.

For 60 minutes.

I felt both fantabulous and exhaustified at the end, but it was a really great workout.  I burned FIVE HUNDRED calories.  That's over a third of what I get to eat in a day!  (Which is already 200 calories less than my resting metabolic rate... see why I love the elliptical?)

I went back to my room with the plan of a quick shower followed by driving to a nail salon for a desperately needed grooming session, but when I got out of the shower I was so tired I could not imagine safely driving anywhere, so I stayed in and watched some more Doctor Who instead.

Then, in the middle of an episode, I suddenly realized that dinner had started 15 minutes earlier, so I skedaddled off to eat, and followed up my meal with an epic Scrabble battle that I finally won by 10 points.  And now, to bed! 

4 comments:

  1. Keep up the good work, Abby! It's almost like I was there, too - wish I was! So jealous that you get to work out with Randy every day!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you can play along at home! How's it going in the year (!) since we were here together?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep up the good work! (one of your favorite pushers)
    Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my VERY favorite pushers! Anyway, you and Karen aren't really pushers so much as enablers, which is a whole different kit and caboodle.

    ReplyDelete